Holistic (Deep-Tissue) Massage
There are very few people I know of who don’t enjoy a good massage!
Massage is the scientific art and assessment of and manual application of various techniques to the superficial soft tissues of skin, muscles, tendons, fascia, ligaments, and the structures that lie within these.
It uses the hand, foot, knee, arm, elbow and/or forearm through the systematic application of various techniques to release emotional, mental and physical tension stored in the soft tissues.
Skilled massage applied to these tissues encourages the muscular, nervous, skeletal and circulatory systems to work together harmoniously as well as aiding these tissues to relax, thus releasing this tension. It also improves blood and lymphatic circulation and rids the body of toxins; it stimulates the production of endorphins, providing pain relief, physical and psychological relaxation and general well-being. The elderly and handicapped persons can benefit greatly through relief from discomfort and the healing effects of touch.
Massage has the following additional benefits:
• Relieves muscle spasms
• Improves muscle tone
• Increases joint mobility
• Dilates blood vessels
• Relieves menstrual cramps
• Helps to break down fatty tissue
• Helps to open and clear sinuses
• Improves the condition of arthritic joints
• Eases bursitis and tendonitis
• Helps stimulate cell activity and hair growth
• Helps improves self-esteem
• Promotes good digestion and nutrient distribution in the body
• Reduces cellulite and varicose veins
• Helps to firm and soften skin, leaving it with a glowing appearance, and fewer wrinkles
Massage is contra-indicated in cases of contagious or infectious conditions, over the abdomen during pregnancy or menstruation, in cardio-vascular conditions such as thrombosis, angina pectoris and hypertension (except with approval from a medical practitioner), over recent scar tissue, over areas of unexplained information and pain and in any condition being treated by a medical practitioner unless they give consent.
Massage therapy is safe and efficient when carried out by a trained therapist.